Wednesday 6 July 2011

QUESTIONS I YES/NO QUESTIONS

'Yes/No' questions ask for a positive or negative answer.
They normally start with an AUXILIARY or MODAL verb and are followed by

SUBJECT + (VERB) + OBJECT

'Yes/no' questions normally have a RISING INTONATION.

Tense
Verb
Answer
Present simple Am I right? Do I do it like this? Yes, you do.
Present continuous Is it working? Yes, it is.
Past simple Was she the manager? Did you enjoy it? Yes, I did.
Past continuous Were they fighting? No, they weren't.
Pres. perf. simple Have they had dinner yet? No, they haven't.
Pres. perf. continuous Has she been working all day? Yes, she has.
Passive Was it finished on time? No, it wasn't
will / would Will she be happy in her new job? Will you finish by 5.30? Yes, of course I will.
Can / could Could he be right? Can you pass me the salt, please? Yes, here you are.

Negative 'Yes/No' questions are used:

To show surprise: Didn't you hear the bell? I rang it four times!

In exclamations: Doesn't that dress look nice! (= That dress looks very nice)

When we expect the listener to agree with us: Haven't we met somewhere before? (= I think that we have)

Be careful with the answers to negative questions: Didn't Dave go to Canada? Yes. (He went there.)
                                                                                                                              No. (He didn't go there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment