Wednesday 9 March 2016

REPORTED SPEECH: COMMANDS, REQUESTS AND SUGGESTIONS

When we want to report an order or request, we can use a verb like 'tell' with a to-clause: 

                                                       He told me to go away. 


The pattern is verb + indirect object + to-clause. The indirect object is the person spoken to. 


Other verbs used to report orders and requests in this way are: command, order, warn, ask, advise, invite, beg, teach, and forbid.

1. Reporting Commands

Form

  • affirmative commands → to + infinitive
  • negative commands → not + to + infinitive

1.1. Affirmative commands

  • Direct Speech → Dad (to me): “Do your homework.”
  • Reported Speech → Dad told me to do my homework.

1.2. Negative commands

  • Direct Speech → Teacher (to me): “Don't talk to your friend.”
  • Reported Speech → The teacher told me not to talk to my friend.

2. Suggestions

Direct Speech

  • Father: “Let's watch a film.”

Reported Speech

  • Father suggested watching a film.
  • Father suggested that they should watch a film
Do not use the infinitive after suggest. Father suggested to watch a film.

The dentist recommended using a different toothbrush.
3. Requests

  • Could you buy some eggs?
  • She asked me to buy some eggs
  • Don't buy any eggs please.
  • She asked me not to buy any eggs.
REQUESTS FOR OBJECTS
Requests for objects are reported using the pattern "asked for" + object.
She asked for an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment