Friday 10 February 2012

VOCABULARY: TALKING ABOUT OUR JOBS

An 'absorbing' job is one that is very interesting and claims all your attention.
  • My job is so absorbing that I sometimes forget to have lunch.
  • I get bored in my job. I need one that is much more absorbing.
A 'badly-paid' job is one where you receive less income than the average.
  • The hotel industry has a lot of badly-paid jobs.
  • My salary may sound high in absolute terms but I am comparatively badly-paid for the job I do.
A 'boring' job is dull and without interest.
  • I think that being an accountant would be a really boring job.
  • Would you stay in a boring job if you were really well paid?
A 'casual' job is one which is not regular or fixed.
  • We offer a lot of casual jobs during the Christmas rush.
  • The unions want us to have fewer casual jobs and more permanent employees.
A 'challenging' job is one that is very difficult and tests a person's ability.
  • It is a very challenging job and we need to find somebody who is tough mentally.
  • I don't find my job very challenging any more and I need a fresh challenge.
A 'dead-end' job is one with no hopes of promotion or advancement.
  • I was in a dead-end job with no hope of further progress so I left the company.
  • If people think they are in dead-end jobs, they lose their motivation.
An 'exacting' job is one that requires a lot of care, effort and attention.
  • Being a surgeon is a very exacting job – you can't afford to lose your concentration.
  • Research jobs are very exacting – you must get every detail right when you are running tests.
A 'demanding' job requires a lot of effort from you.
  • I have a very demanding job. I don't have much spare time.
  • My job is very physically demanding. I get very tired.
A 'part-time' job is one where you do not work 'full-time'.
  • I only want a part-time job as I have to look after my children.
  • The company is trying to replace full-time jobs with part-time jobs to save money.
A 'menial' job is one with a low social value.
  • I can only find menial jobs such as cleaning.
  • He thinks that making the coffee is a menial job and he won't do it.
A 'prestigious' job is one that gives the person a lot of respect.
  • Being Prime Minister is a prestigious job but the salary is not all that good.
  • Running our New York office is the sort of prestigious job I am looking for.
A 'secure' job is one that is safe from redundancy etc.
  • There are no more secure jobs in this company. Everybody's job is at risk.
  • I want to make sure that the next job I get is really secure. I'm fed up with all this job insecurity.
If your 'career has its ups and downs' , it has good moments and bad moments.
  • My career has had its ups and downs but I'm doing very well at the moment.
  • His career has its ups and downs but he remains as enthusiastic as ever.
If your 'career has blossomed', it has done very well.
  • She started out as an office junior but since then her career has blossomed .
  • Since I improved the level of my English, my career has blossomed.
If you have had a 'brilliant career', you  have a very good one.
  • She's had a brilliant career with top jobs in several Wall Street firms.
  • When you look back on your brilliant career, you must be very proud.
If you have had a 'colorful career', it has been interesting and exciting.
  • His colorful career has taken him to many exciting locations.
  • As an accountant, you won't have a very colorful career.
A 'demanding career' is one which takes a lot of effort and/or time.
  • He has had a very demanding career in finance with little time to spend with his family.
  • I don't want a very demanding career. I want plenty of time for my hobbies.
A 'distinguished career', is one which is respected for its extremely high standard.
  • He had a distinguished career in the Ministry of Finance before moving to the private sector.
  • You haven't had a very distinguished career so far, have you?
If you spend your 'entire career' doing something, that is all you have done.
  • I have spent my entire career working for the one company.
  • I don't want to spend my entire career doing nothing but research.
If you have a 'flourishing career', it  has grown and developed successfully.
  • She has had a flourishing career as a designer of children's clothes.
  • I don't seem to be having much of a flourishing career in this company.
A 'glittering career' is one which causes excitement and admiration.
  • His glittering career as an actor has brought him wealth and fame.
  • The boss began her glittering career with the firm as a humble receptionist.
A 'modest career' is one where there are no notable achievements.
  • He has had a very modest career in our auditing office with no real successes or failures.
  • You've had a very modest career so far with very little in the way of achievements.
(Notice though that to 'be modest about your career' means that there are notable achievements but that you tend not to talk about them.)

A 'promising career' is one which promises great success in the future.
  • She has started a very promising career in the City and we are sure she is going to do well.
  • I seemed to have such a promising career when I was starting out but it has all gone badly wrong.
If you have a 'varied career', you have done lots of different jobs.
  • I've had a varied career so far, from policeman to actor.
  • We're looking for a candidate with a varied career as this job requires a range of skills. 

to work overtime = to do more than the usual hours required by the contract
  • We aren't paid when we work overtime, we can take time off in lieu.
  • We had to work overtime to get the project finished on time.
to work shifts = to work in teams at different times of the day and night
  • In today's twenty-four hour society, more and more people work shifts.
  • We get paid more when we work shifts to compensate for the irregular times.
shift work = when groups of workers work at different times of the day and night
  • The irregular rhythm of shift work can be very hard on family life.
  • Production keeps going non-stop so we have a lot of people who do shift work.
to be on the night shift = to work with a group during the night, often from ten pm to six am
  • It's very hard on the night shift because I can't sleep very well during the day.
  • Some people prefer to be on the night shift because they are at home when the children come home from school.
flexitime = a system where people can vary the start and end times
  • As we work flexitime, I take the children to school and arrive at nine thirty.
  • With flexitime, as long as I have done my seven hours, I can leave at four thirty.
a roster = a list of who's working when and where
  • The weekly roster is put up on the board so that you can see who is working.
  • Look on the roster to see what job you are doing.
to have time off = to take vacation or leave
  • I'd like to have some time off next month. I need a break.
  • If you want to have time off, you have to fill out a request form and give it to your line manager.
to take a day off = to have an authorised absence from work for a day
  • I had two days off last week so I have a lot of work to catch up on.
  • I'd like a day off next week to deal with some family matters. Friday if that is convenient.
full-time = work a whole working week
  • At the moment I only work two days a week but I would like to work full-time.
  • After the birth of my son, I didn't want to go back full-time so do three days a week now.

part-time = to work a part of the day or week
  • When I was a student, I had a part-time job in a bar.
  • We are looking for a part-time receptionist to work mornings.
to be punctual = to start or arrive at the specified time
  • She's very punctual, always here on time.
  • Please be punctual. I don’t want to have to wait for late arrivals.
home working = to work from home rather than going into the office
  • Home working misses the social element of going to work.
  • Modern technology means that home working has become a real possibility for many people.
time sheet = a record of the numbers of hours worked by an employee
  • Fill out this time sheet every day and hand it to your manager on Fridays.
  • We no longer have time sheets as this is done automatically by the electronic ID badges.
unsocial hours = hours outside of the normal working week
  • Although the hours are rather unsocial, I don’t want a nine to five job.
  • Lots of professions work very unsocial hours and don't necessarily get compensated for it.
to take a break = to stop work for a short time to relax
  • You can buy tea or coffee when you take a break.
  • Sometimes it's a good idea to take a break and come back to a job refreshed.
to clock in/out = to record the start or finish time of work on a special machine
  • The staff clock in when they arrive and clock out as they leave.
  • Flexitime means that everyone has to clock in and out to keep a check on the hours worked.
public holidays = national holidays that are not generally worked
  • Your holiday entitlement does not include public holidays like Christmas Day.
  • If a public holiday is on a Thursday, many people take the Friday off and have a long weekend.
hourly rate = the salary that is paid per hour of work
  • We are paid a considerably higher hourly rate for Sundays or evening work.
  • The part-time employees are paid an hourly rate but the permanent staff are paid a fixed salary.
fixed hours = the working hours of an employee do not change or cannot be varied
  • The admin staff work fixed hours; nine to five, five days a week.
  • As a freelancer, I don't have any fixed hours but work when the work is there.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment