If there is 'a vacancy', there is a job available because a new post has been created or a person has left.
- Larry's move to London has created a vacancy in Marketing if you are interested.
- We don’t have any vacancies at the moment but we will keep your CV on file.
When a post becomes vacant, the company 'advertises the post' in the press.
- Although the post was advertised last month, we promoted someone internally.
- We advertised the post in the national press last week and have received lots of applications.
If you 'apply for a job', you send in a CV or letter because you want the job.
- Ten people have applied for the job just from advertising it internally.
- I've applied for that job in Glasgow even though I don’t really have enough experience.
When you want a new job, you send 'letters of application' to the company concerned.
- I've written letters of application for four different jobs but had no reply yet.
- We have received letters of application from a wide range of candidates.
The candidates who apply for the job are also known as the 'applicants'.
- The number of applicants is very high. There are a lot of people with the right qualifications and experience.
- We do a pre-selection of the applicants based on their previous experience.
A company can use a 'recruitment agency' to fill their vacancies
- We use a recruitment agency to advertise the post and do a pre-selection.
- There are several recruitment agencies who specialize in our sector so we can find highly qualified candidates quickly.
A 'job description' details all the duties, responsibilities and personal qualities necessary for a specific job.
- We have written new job descriptions for all the jobs in our department.
- I don't think making the coffee is in my job description!
Your 'qualifications' are your academic or professional diplomas.
- For a post at this level, we consider experience to be more important than academic qualifications.
- For this post, we give full training. The only qualification necessary is a high school diploma.
'Experience' is the knowledge acquired through time already spent in work, in different jobs.
- I have a lot of experience managing a small team and would now like to manage a bigger one.
- The best candidates are those who have previous experience in the food industry.
'Salary and benefits' are what you are paid and the extras you receive in return for the work you do.
- Although the starting salary is not very high, the benefits include health insurance.
- We pay very competitive salaries and provide some of the best benefits in the sector.
Applying for a job may mean filling out an 'application form' giving your personal details.
- If you are interested in the job, could you fill out this application form, please?
- I have completed the application form for that job and sent it back to the personnel department.
The application form includes your 'contact details'; your home address, your phone number and your email address.
- We have your contact details so we will be in touch soon.
- If you give me your contact details, I'll call you to set up an interview.
It also includes your 'employment history' where you list the previous positions you have held with the name of the company, job title and dates of employment.
- I have already held similar positions as you can see from my employment history.
- There are gaps in her employment history. I would like to know what she was doing during these periods.
A list of previous positions held needs to highlight the 'relevant experience' showing why the candidate is suitable for the job.
- As you can see from my CV, I have all the relevant experience you require.
- This candidate doesn't have the relevant experience in our sector but is very well qualified in every other aspect.
A 'job description' is drawn up for candidates giving all the relevant information about the job detailing responsibilities as well as location and salary.
- I don't think that my job description includes all the task I am currently doing.
- We are currently writing job descriptions for the new jobs being created in the sales team.
After the final interviews, a formal 'job offer' is made to the best candidate.
- We hope to make a formal job offer as soon as we have had replies from your referees.
- I turned down the job offer I received from them because the salary wasn't as good as my present one.
The job offer will include information regarding salary and 'holiday entitlement'. (British English)
- The holiday entitlement is only 20 days a year but that doesn't include public holidays.
- Although the holiday entitlement is very generous, holidays have to be taken at certain times of the year.
The job offer will also give a 'starting date' for the job.
- I have to work out my notice in my present job so can we put back the starting date?
- Originally they wanted me to start next week but as I was available, I suggested an earlier starting date.
The job offer will also specify a 'probation period' at the end of which a new recruit can be dismissed if they are not suitable for the position.
- They let him go at the end of the probation period.
- She is still on her probation period. We have another two weeks to make a final decision.