Sunday 4 November 2012

USED TO





The structure 'be/get used to' can be used in any tense but must be followed by either a noun or a verb in its -ing form.


BE USED TO

means 'to be accustomed to something', that is, it isn't strange any more.
AFFIRMATIVE NEGATIVE INTERROGATIVE
PRESENT SIMPLE I'm used to speaking  I'm not used to...  Am I used to...?
PAST SIMPLE He was used to speaking  He wasn't used to...  Was he used to...?
FUTURE 'WILL' They'll be used to speaking  They will not be used to.. Will they be used to...?

GET USED TO 

expresses the process of becoming accustomed to something, that is, something strange becomes more familiar.
AFFIRMATIVE NEGATIVE INTERROGATIVE
PRESENT CONTINUOUS I'm getting used to speaking.  I'm not getting used to...  Am I getting used to...?
PAST SIMPLE
He got used to speaking.  He didn't get used to...  Did he get used to...?
FUTURE 'WILL'
They'll get used to speaking.  They will not get used to...  Will they get used to...?
  


Don't confuse 'be/get used to' with 'used to'! They look similar but they have different meanings. Study the sentences:
Paco used to learn English. Habit in the past.
Paco is used to speaking English. He is now accustomed to it.
 
NOTICE  both structures: BE/GET USED TO + V-ING (estar acostumbrado, acostumbrarse)
                                         USED TO + INFINITIVE (costumbre en el pasado)


I didn't use to watch TV in English before.


I'm getting used to watching TV shows in English.


Some day I will be used to watching TV shows in English.



No comments:

Post a Comment