Sunday, 4 November 2012

TABLE OF PERFECT TENSES IN ENGLISH





Have a look at the perfect tenses in English: present perfect, present perfect continuous, past perfect and past perfect continuous.

 
TENSE USE
EXAMPLES
SIGNAL WORDS
Present perfect
• to put emphasis on the result • to express an action that is still going on
• to express an action that stopped recently
• for a finished action that has an influence on the present
• for an action that has(n't) taken place before
He has studied two units
She has lived here for two years I have made coffee
I have lost my keys
I have never been to Canada
since, for, ever, just, never, yet, so far, till now, up to now, already, recently, lately
Present perfect continuous
• to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action
• temporary situation
• an action that has just stopped
I have been running for an hour
I have been living here for a month
I have been watching a film on TV
How long , since, for, so far, up to now,
Past perfect • For past actions or situations which happened before anther past action or situation
• For events before a specific time in the past
When I arrived, they had gone to bed
By 12:30 they had finished lunch
already, by ..., until that day
Past perfect continuous
• to emphasise the duration or course of an action which happened before another past action The flowers were wet because it had been raining for, the whole day,

No comments:

Post a Comment