Saturday 8 August 2015

WRITING A BASIC DESCRIPTION ABOUT YOURSELF


Answer these questions about yourself on a piece of paper.
  • How old are you?
  • What do you look like?
  • What kind of clothes do you usually wear? Why?

  • What kind of job do you do? Do you like it?
  • What are your favorite hobbies? Why do you like them?
  • Where do you live?
  • Do you like living there? Why or why not?


Now that you have the information about yourself ready, fill in the gaps in to complete this descriptive paragraph about yourself.
I am _________ years old, I _________________ (your looks). I wear ________________ because ______________. I am a ______________. I like / don't like my job because _____________________. I enjoy ______________. I often _____________ (describe how often you practise your hobby). I also like ________________ (write about another hobby) because ________________. I live in ____________. People in ____________ are ________________ . I enjoy / don't enjoy living in ______________ because ____________.


Model answer:


I am 35 years old, I am tall and thin. I usually wear comfortable clothes  because I work at home . I am a computer engineer. I like my job because there is always something new going on. In my free time, I enjoy playing chess. I often play chess online with my father. I also like going to the gym because I need to do some exercise. I live in Inca. People in Inca are quite friendly. I enjoy living there because flats are cheap and I can buy fresh food at the market every Thursday.


Tips for Writing a Personal Description about Yourself
  • Use 'come from' for the city or country where you were born. Use 'live' for the city where you currently live.
  • Use the present simple tense to explain what you do every day.
  • Use 'have' or 'have got' to speak about your children, pets, etc.
  • Use 'a' the first time you mention something. For example, I live in a house. Then use 'the' after the first time you write about it. For example, I live in a house. The house is in Seattle.
  • Remember to use he, his, him for boys and men and she, her, her for girls and women. Use 'our' when speaking about the whole family.
  • Use 'like + verb ending in -ing' when speaking about hobbies.


No comments:

Post a Comment