Tuesday 13 October 2015

"MATCH POINT": Follow-up activities

1. Vocabulary: Match the words to the definitions

Match Point 
fan     morality      core      upper crust     falls for       influenced  femme fatale     fantastic     in the tradition of       Dostoyevsky
     
  • (Informal) the highest social class  
  • marvellous   
  • having ​characteristics ​similar to a ​particular ​person or thing                                                    
  • conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct

  • falls in love with
  • an irresistibly attractive woman, especially one who leads men into difficult, dangerous, or disastrous situations
    • persuaded by actions, behaviour, opinions, etc., of another or others
    • the central, innermost, or most essential part of anything

    • an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc
    • a Russian novelist, journalist and philosopher.

    2. Fill in the gaps:        WIFE- BROTHER- AMBITION- CLASS- BEAUTIFUL       

    Match Point is a drama about a young man's rise in society and the terrible consequences of his ........... The protagonist is torn between two women and finding no way out, resorts to extreme action. The actors are all English and it is set amongst the English upper ....... with Scarlett Johansson playing the ............. American girl who comes between Jonathan Rhys Meyers and his ................ Emily Mortimer. Matthew Goode is Emily's wealthy .......... who initates the tragic events.


    3. Dialogue

    Taylor:  You know, Dave, I am a huge Woody Allen fan.
    Dave:  I like Woody Allen, too, but I haven’t seen his new movie.
    Taylor:  Match Point.
    Dave:  Yes, that's the one.
    Taylor:  It’s fantastic. It’s in the tradition of my very favorite Woody Allen movie, Crimes and Misdemeanors.
    Dave:  Sounds good then.
    Taylor:  Full of Dostoyevsky and themes of morality and murder. 
    Dave: Wow. What is the plot about?
    Taylor: The main character is a tennis player, and at the beginning of the movie he talks about how luck can decide a match when a ball hits the net and decides to fall on your side or the opponent’s side.
    Dave: I see.
    Taylor:That’s the core of the movie, you know – how much of your actions are influenced by luck.
    Dave: What an interesting theme! I need to see it ASAP!

    4. What did you think of the film?  Do you agree with this review?
    • "A wicked, winning gem" (Steven Rea: Philadelphia Inquirer)
      5. Discussion 
      A)  "You can learn to push the guilt under the rug and go on. Otherwise, it overwhelms you." Who and when says this in the film? Do you agree with this statement?
      B) The movie Match Point asks you to think about the role of luck and good fortune in your life. Look at everything you have. Did you earn it, or were you lucky enough to be born at the right place, at the right time? How much has fate determined what you’re doing and what you have in life?

      6. Do you know what these idioms mean? Do you know other idioms related to the topic?

      to leave one to one's fate

      a twist of fate

      to seal somebody's fate

      to tempt fate


      7. Watch the scene and read the dialogue. Play the part if you're up to it! Or try to dub the scenes!


      Scene 1 (1 min 14 seconds long)


      Script:

      Chris: Have you done many movies? 
      
      Nola: It was a commercial, not a movie. 
      
      Tom: But your eyes went straight to her, if you know what I mean. 
      
      Nola: I don't think my career has really gone as planned. 
      
      Tom: Oh, you just need a break. 
      
      Chris: I think it's important to be lucky in anything. 
      
      Chloe: Well, I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work. 
      
      Chris: Oh, hard work is mandatory, but I think everybody's afraid to admit what a big part luck plays. I mean, it seems scientists are confirming more and more that all existence is here by blind chance. No purpose, no design. 
      
      Chloe: Well, I don't care, I love every minute of it. 
      
      Chris: And I envy you for it. 
      
      Tom: What was it the vicar used to say? "Despair is the path of least resistance." 
      
      It was something odd, wasn't it?. It was very strange... 
      
      Chris: I think that faith is the path of least resistance. 
      
      
      Tom: Oh, God...
      
      Chloe: Oh, God. Can we change the subject, please? Nola was talking about acting, which is much more interesting. 
      
      Nola: No, I was just saying that I think I'm giving acting a second thought. I just can't bear people in my hometown to think I've failed. Not that I'm ever going back to Colorado. Ever. 
      
      Waiter: Have you decided on a wine?
      
      Tom: Two bottles of Puligny-Montrachet. Thank you. 
      
      
      
      
      
      ........................................................................
      
      
      
      
      
      
      Scene 2   (40 seconds long)
      
      
      
      
      Script:
      
      
      
      
      The man who said, "I'd rather be lucky than good," saw deeply into life. 
      
      People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. 
      
      It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. 
      
      There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second it can either go forward or fall back. 
      
      With a little luck, it goes forward and you win. 
      
      Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose. 
      
      
      .........................................................................................
      
      
      
      
      
      
      Scene 3 (1 min 49 seconds)
      
      
      
      
      Script:
      
      
      
      
      Chloe: Was I dreadful?
      
      Chris: Not at all. You have a very unique style. 
      
      Chloe: Yeah, it's called clumsy. How did you get to be so good anyway? Tom says you played with some of the real greats. 
      
      Chris: For me, it was a way out of a poor existence.  Caught the eye of a good coach. I don't know. It all came so easy at first. 
      
      Chloe: Do you enjoy teaching? 
      
      
      Chris: Not really. I mean, it's OK for now, but I'd cut my throat if I thought I had to do it forever. I'd like to do something with my life. You know, special. I'd like to make a contribution. 
      
      Chloe: So, you're a poor boy from lreland come to London. 
      
      
      Chris: I love it. It's so exciting and alive. I've never seen so much art or theater. Not that I've taken much advantage of it yet. 
      
      Chloe: Well, look, if you'd like someone to show you around, I grew up in Belgravia. I'd be happy to take you to all the good places. 
      
      Chris: That'd be great. On one condition: I buy the tickets. 
      
      Chloe: Oh, dear, is that going to be an issue?
      
      Chris: I'm afraid it is. I'm very old-fashioned. But actually, I did read something about the exhibition in the Saatchi Gallery. 
      
      Chloe: That's perfect. It'd be my pleasure to take you. 
      
      Chris: You're very kind to offer this. Can I at least give you some free tennis lessons? 
      
      Chloe: OK, it's a deal. How about Wednesday for the Saatchi?
      
      Chris: I can do that. 
      
      Chloe: Shall we meet for lunch first? 
      
      
      Chris: It's a date. I'd better get ready. Your guests will be arriving soon. 
      
      Chloe: Yeah, yeah. Of course. Go. 
      
      Chris. A sweaty tennis player's hardly what they expect. 
      


      ...............................................................................................................................................

      Advanced students can read the whole script here

      No comments:

      Post a Comment